When Is the Best Time to Have a Tummy Tuck?
A middle-aged woman recently visited us here at our Houston body contouring surgery practice wanting to know her options in getting rid of her muffin top that doesn’t seem to budge despite being on a low-carb diet and regular exercise. We suggested a tummy tuck procedure for her main concerns.
“Am I in a perfect position to have the procedure?” was one of her main questions, followed by questions on how to prepare for the surgery, how soon the results can be noticed, and what the recovery process is going to be like.
By and large, the best time for you to get a tummy tuck is:
- when you’ve done almost everything to get rid of the excess fat, slack abdominal muscles, and sagging skin in the abdominal area
- when your self-confidence is affected with how your abdomen looks like
- when you just experienced massive weight loss or pregnancy (and have no plans of getting pregnant again)
- when you are relatively in good health such as pre-existing health conditions have been stabilized
- when you are within your ideal weight
- when you have already understood what happens during and after the procedure, including its risks and benefits, and has realistic expectations about the outcomes of the procedure
- when you can make the commitment to quit smoking at least 4-6 weeks before your tummy tuck procedure
Choosing Between a Full or Mini Tummy Tuck
After a thorough discussion with Dr. Cortes, the middle-aged woman mentioned earlier in the article decided to have a mini tummy tuck as recommended. Generally, a mini tummy tuck may be more ideal than a full tummy tuck if you are within your ideal weight and has little or no sagging abdominal skin.
Dr. Cortes’ mini tummy tuck procedure involves a single incision only (whereas a full tummy tuck involves two incisions) between the belly button and pubic bone. Consequently, the lower skin is pulled down to tighten the abdominal area. Just like a full tummy tuck, a mini tummy tuck may also include liposuction.
Dr. Cortes’ approach to a tummy tuck procedure, may it be a mini or a full tummy tuck, is to not only remove excess abdominal fat and tighten weakened abdominal muscles. He also aims to create a customized tummy tuck plan that will suit your needs and will help you achieve an abdominal contour that is in proportion with the rest of your natural curves.
Call us at 713.234.6244 or fill out this contact form to schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Cortes. We look forward to your visit!